Sunday, September 23, 2007

My God!

My conception of God got (rather appropriately, if presumably accidentally) a perfect score on a test of its plausibility, due to my ticking just 3 boxes: (i) my God is the "Creator (of all that exists)," (ii) a "Perfectly Free" agent, and (iii) "a being with whom one can have a personal relationship."
......Do-It-Yourself Deity heads this list of games at TPM, and said of my conception:

The metaphysical engineers are happy to report that, to the best of their knowledge, the God you conceive is internally consistent and could exist in our universe. But they are less sure that what you have described deserves the name of God. She is not, for example, all-powerful. A God which knows everything or is totally benign may be a wonderful ideal, but is she really a God unless she has ultimate power?

We suspect that your God is not the traditional God of the Christian, Jewish or Muslim faiths.

Not traditional? The creator of this Universe, and a personal God? Whatever...
......Anyway, had I said that God was "Omnipotent (all-powerful, able to do anything)," I'd have had the problem (according to the engineers) that S/he couldn't make 2 + 2 equal 5; and of course, nor could S/he have made it so that S/he was always nothing, but so what? Surely a perfectly free person with absolute physical and spiritual power over at least this Universe would be a God... Presumably, with such a reading of "all" I shouldn't have included "Creator," since I don't think that God must be self-created (which I suspect is impossible:)
......Incidentally, the reason why I excluded "all-loving" was the possibility of including evil acts in the quantification; but the engineers missed that, and said instead that I'd have to give up the personal relationship, in that case (I can have a personal relationship with someone only if there's something that S/he doesn't love?)
......(And why were the implausibilities of omniscience overlooked, e.g.
:)
......Incidentally, I'm not religious, as such (once a Methodist, I discovered that I hate singing), but if I was going to be then according to this test I should consider:
1. Reform Judaism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (96%)
3. Bahai (91%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (86%)
5. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)
6. Orthodox Judaism (78%)
7. Sikhism (78%)
8. Neo-Pagan (75%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (73%)
10. Islam (69%)

No comments: