Monday, April 23, 2007
In the beginning
I did not have form. I remember how strange it was to learn to read (numbers seemed much simpler). Ten years later, words were flowing onto paper like dreams filling my head at night, which seemed a bit strange (numbers seemed relatively dull). I also read a lot. My interest in the nature of the wider world grew, and eventually I went to Oxford on a grant and a scholarship to read physics. I was out of my depth at Oxford, socio-economically; and their approach to physics disappointed me (at Oxford, physics was a route into jobs like merchant banker, if research at the cutting edge of Einsteinian materialism did not suit one) so what, I wondered, could I do that no one else would do and which needed doing? I ended up studying mathematics with the Open University, getting a first and then a masters; and when I became suspicious of the justification for the Axiom of Infinity, I studied philosophy at Glasgow, getting a distinction in my masters and a grant to study for a doctorate (I will be back in Glasgow this September). Still, I have never liked the idea of teaching something that I do not believe in; whereas, finding out that I was wrong about something always seemed to me to be more of a gain than a loss, so I am now blogging (I will not be trying to force my thoughts into an analytic style, in the hope of comments correcting my thoughts, rather than my style, which will hopefully improve over time :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment