Is it the job of analytic metaphysicians, to put back the pictures that the axiomatic mathematicians remove from our scientific descriptions of reality; and if not, why not?
Perhaps I'm ignorant around the job of an axiomatic mathematician, but it's hard for me to imagine a description of the world that was only mathematical. This is rather a trivial point on the surface, but I think it will serve: A scientific description, at the bare minimum would require units to have any real value; these units wouldn't belong to a mathemiticians domain. It would seem rather self-defeating for mathematicians to even look at there mission as one where they are attempting to take the pictures out. The end result might be a mathematics that is incredibly consistent and complex but it would be so decontextualized it would be without value. (This is not to say they aren't embarked on this project: it's just to say that it would be foolish if they were)
In 2003 I was published in the British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, but I've not done much since (click on that "done" for what I have done).
In 2007 I started blogging as enigMan (a "Meaning"-full name), calling this blog enigMania, and
in 2014 I started taking photos around my village and sharing them on Google+ (the videos on YouTube).
In 2018, as Google+ faded away, I decided to write up my main philosophical discovery as a booklet (and changed the name of this blog to Not Too Odd), and
Perhaps I'm ignorant around the job of an axiomatic mathematician, but it's hard for me to imagine a description of the world that was only mathematical.
ReplyDeleteThis is rather a trivial point on the surface, but I think it will serve:
A scientific description, at the bare minimum would require units to have any real value; these units wouldn't belong to a mathemiticians domain.
It would seem rather self-defeating for mathematicians to even look at there mission as one where they are attempting to take the pictures out.
The end result might be a mathematics that is incredibly consistent and complex but it would be so decontextualized it would be without value.
(This is not to say they aren't embarked on this project: it's just to say that it would be foolish if they were)
Hmm... they don't see themselves as taking the pictures out; they just remove inapposite subjectivity very ineptly, I think.
ReplyDelete