Monday, November 18, 2013

I think, so I'm iffy

"I deliberate, so the future is open," is, if you think about it, a pretty good description of a rational argument with one premise (a premise of which one can be certain). My making the effort to deliberate well (because I would blame myself if I did not) presupposes that there is, as yet, no fact of the matter of what I will be thinking.
......To make such an effort is to force the future away from a state that it would otherwise be in, of course. And for me to think of that state as already unreal would undermine my motivation to make such an effort. And of course, for me to make no such effort would be for me to care little for the quality of my thoughts, which would be irrational.
......That was a précis of my comments on a Prussian post, themselves inspired by Nicholas Denyer's 1981 defence of arguments like "I deliberate, so my will is free."

No comments: